Eagles Fall at No. 75 South Alabama
MOBILE, Ala. The Georgia Southern men’s tennis team suffered a tough 4-1 loss at No. 75 South Alabama Sunday afternoon (March 15). Inclement weather forced a delayed start to the match and ended two singles matches early, but the Jaguars managed to hand the Eagles only their third loss of the season as they dropped to 5-3 overall. USA improved to 7-7 with the win.
A sweep of the doubles matches gave the Jags the early advantage before singles action got underway. A quick decision at the three seed put USA on the board, but the Eagles battled hard at the one and two seeds. Dauw Kruger and Leo Dominguez narrowly upended juniors Justin Flynn and Jayraj Jadeja, 8-5, to clinch the one point lead from the two position moments before the Jags completed the doubles sweep at the one seed. The senior Eagle tandem of Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands pushed Romain Bocaert and Hanno Bartsch to the core, but a break secured the 8-6 victory for USA.
Kruger widened the Jags’ margin to 2-0 with a win at the six seed before Georgia Southern took its lone point of the match. Freshman Alain Garrido shined from the four seed surrendering only three games en route to a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Aaron Krisan. But USA quickly secured the match win with consecutive victories at the two and three seeds, respectively. Rain cut the last two matches on the court short, leaving the score at 4-1 USA.
“It was a close match. A few points executed differently could have changed the outcome of the match,” said head coach Justin Miles.
Georgia Southern returns to action and Southern Conference play with a visit to first year conference foe Samford on Tuesday, March 17. First serve is slated for 2 p.m. (CT).
No. 75 South Alabama 4, Georgia Southern 1
1. Romain Bocaert/Hanno Bartsch (USA) d. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) 8-6
2. Dauw Kruger/Leo Dominguez (USA) d. Justin Flynn/Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 8-5*
3. Aaron Krisan/Marek Sramek (USA) d. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) vs. Marek Sramek (USA) 3-6, 4-3 DNF
2. Romain Bocaert (USA) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Leo Dominguez (USA) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 6-3, 6-4*
4. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Aaron Krisan (USA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Hanno Bartsch (USA) vs. Edio Castanhel (GSU) 7-5, 5-3 DNF
6. Dauw Kruger (USA) d. Philip Prins (GSU) 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 3
*Clinched the match
DNF: Did not finish
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 15 March 2009 00:05