Eagles Drop Conference Match to Wofford
Georgia Southern falls to 4-8, 0-2 in conference play, while Wofford improves to 5-5 while picking up its first league win, 1-0.
GS battled through a tough doubles point to win the early lead. With the top two seeds going into tiebreakers, the Eagles persevered and completed the sweep, 3-0, for the point. Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) and Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium), competing at the three seed, gave GS the early lead in doubles play with an 8-5 win over Drew Superstein and Tinus Van Wyk. A tiebreak battle at the top seed clinched the point for Georgia Southern as seniors Jayraj Jadeja (London, England) and Justin Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) edged Paul Bartholomy and Alan Donald, 9-8 (7). Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) and Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) completed the doubles sweep for Georgia Southern, winning the tiebreak, 9-8 (5) at No. 2 over Robertson and Tom Wood.
The hard-fought doubles momentum could not be carried over to singles action for Georgia Southern as Wofford jumped out with four of six first sets. Alan Donald evened the playing field for the Terriers with a straight set decision over Bekkers at the three seed, 6-4, 6-3. But Melian Puigventos pushed the Eagles back on top, 2-1, with a 6-4, 6-4 decision over Robertson at No. 2. But Melian Puigventos’ singles win would be the lone victory for GS as Wofford took the next four to secure the win.
Van Wyk and Superstein gave Wofford a 3-2 advantage with wins at the top and six singles seeds, before Bartholomy clinched the win at the No. 4 seed with a three-set win over Verdam. Verdam took the first set, 6-3, and narrowly missed the second, falling in a tiebreak, 7-5 (6), with Bartholomy winning the third, 6-3. Michael Schecter closed the match for Wofford with a three-set win over Flynn at the five seed.
Georgia Southern returns to play on Wednesday, March 10 welcoming SoCon foe Furman to the Hanner Tennis Complex. First serve is slated for 2:30 p.m.
1. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Paul Bartholomy/Alan Donald (WOF) 9-8(7)*
2. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) d. Stuart Robertson/Tom Wood (WOF) 9-8(5)
3. Edio Castanhel/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Drew Superstein/Tinus Van Wyk (WOF) 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Tinus Van Wyk (WOF) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) d. Stuart Robertson (WOF) 6-4, 6-4
3. Alan Donald (WOF) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Paul Bartholomy (WOF) d. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 3-6, 7-6(5), 6-3*
5. Michael Schecter (WOF) d. Justin Flynn (GSU) 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
6. Drew Superstein (WOF) d. Edio Castanhel (GSU) 6-4, 7-6(8)
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1, 6, 4, 5
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Monday, 08 March 2010 10:20