Eagles Drop Southern Conference Match at Samford
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Despite taking the first three singles matches off the courts, Georgia Southern men’s tennis dropped a close 4-3 decision to Southern Conference foe Samford Tuesday afternoon (March 17) at the Samford Tennis Center. Samford picked up is third straight win, improving to 5-9 overall and 2-2 in SoCon play, while the Eagles dropped to 5-4, 1-1.
Georgia Southern dropped the doubles point before singles play, but took a 3-2 advantage with singles wins at the one, two and five seeds. The Eagles pulled in the lead when senior Joris De Weerdt earned a decisive 6-2, 6-4 victory over Richard Walsh, while Gregory Bekkers registered a three-set victory over Kelwin DeWet from the No. 2 seed. Bekkers rebounded from dropping the first set 2-6, to post 7-5 and 6-3 second and third sets, respectively. Georgia Southern’s third and final win came at No. 5 where freshman Eagle Edio Castanhel upended Carl Abalos, 6-4, 7-6(6).
Despite leading 3-2, the Bulldogs rallied from behind to take the final two matches on the courts in third sets. Carson Kadi and Oliver Reynolds fought off defeats from courts No. 3 and No. 6 to clinch the match for Samford. Kadi took a 6-7(6), 6-3, 6-0 decision over Jayraj Jadeja, while Reynolds narrowly outlasted Justin Flynn, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2.
The afternoon began with the Bulldogs taking close doubles wins at courts No. 2 and 3, respectively. The senior Eagle duo of De Weerdt and Matthew Sands secured Georgia Southern’s lone doubles win at the one seed with an 8-6 decision over Brian Dushock and DeWet. The Eagle tandem improved to 15-6 overall this season and 6-3 in dual action with the win.
Georgia Southern takes no time off returning to action tomorrow, Wednesday, March 18 at UAB. The Eagles will look to snap this two-match skid with a victory over the Blazers. First serve is slated for 2 p.m. (CT).
Samford 4, Georgia Southern 3
1. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Brian Dushock/Kelwin DeWet (SU) 8-6
2. Oliver Reynolds/Carl Abalos (SU) d. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) 8-5
3. Carson Kadi/Richard Walsh (SU) d. Philip Prins/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 8-6
1. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) d. Richard Walsh (SU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Kelwin DeWet (SU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Carson Kadi (SU) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 6-7(6-8), 6-3, 6-0
4. Brian Dushock (SU) d. Alain Garrido (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Edio Castanhel (GSU) d. Carl Abalos (SU) 6-4, 7-6 (6)
6. Oliver Reynolds (SU) d. Justin Flynn (GSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Tuesday, 17 March 2009 00:26