Louisiana at Lafayette too much for Eagles
ATLANTA -- Georgia Southern Men's Tennis fell to Louisiana at Lafayette in a neutral site match-up in Atlanta on Sunday. The Eagles (5-4, 1-0 SoCon) fell into an early gap after losing all three doubles matches and were not able to recover in singles play in a hard fought match against the Ragin' Cajuns (8-7).
"We didn't execute well in doubles at all today. We did a good job at the start of singles of elevating our play but we made key errors towards the end of sets that cost us. Louisiana played a strong match and we didn't match their execution today," said Head Coach Nick Zieziula.
Being down 3-0 in the match, junior Marco Osorio put a dent in the score, winning his match on court five against Jarred Wynan 7-6 (6), 6-1. It wasn't enough as the Eagles dropped the next, having Louisiana at Lafayette take the match clincher.
After the match was determined, freshman Rayane Djouad did not let down and added his team leading sixth singles win on the year, defeating Jake Wynan in a comeback victory with a score of 5-7, 6-3, 6-4. It was the rookie's career first win at the number two spot.
The Eagles return to conference play in their next match against The Citadel in Charleston, S.C. on Saturday, March 16 and return home on Monday March 18 against conference foe College of Charleston.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new “Eagles GATA” mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. Rick de Groot (LL) def. Andrew Dromsky (GSUM) 6-4, 6-2
2. Rayane Djouad (GSUM) def. Jake Wynan (LL) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
3. Hunter Johnson (LL) def. A. Codina Sala (GSUM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Edgar Lopez (LL) def. Oliver Webb (GSUM) 7-5, 4-6, 10-7
5. Marco Osorio (GSUM) def. Jarred Wynan (LL) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
6. Damian Farinola (LL) def. Daniel Rush (GSUM) 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,1,5,3,2,4
1. Rick de Groot/Jake Wynan (LL) def. Rayane Djouad/Marco Osorio (GSUM) 8-2
2. Jarred Wynan/Edgar Lopez (LL) def. Matthijs Verdam/Oliver Webb (GSUM) 8-2
3. Hunter Johnson/Yates Johnson (LL) def. Kyle Hoffman/Andrew Dromsky (GSUM) 8-4
Order of finish: 2,1,3
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 10 March 2013 15:36