Eagles Beat Bethune-Cookman 4-0
STATESBORO, Ga. – The Georgia Southern Men’s Tennis team picked up its second win of the weekend, beating Bethune-Cookman 4-0 in a non-conference matchup on Sunday afternoon at the Hanner Tennis Complex. The Eagles improve to 5-3 on the season where the Wildcats fall to 5-6 on the year.
“We played very strong,” said Head Coach Nick Zieziula. “We juggled some personel and everybody who stepped in handled it exactly like they should so that’s great to see.”
The Eagles built up a 1-0 quickly after two wins in doubles play. Freshman-junior duo Rayane Djouad and Marco Osorio had no trouble with Bethune Cookman’s Seve Day and Juan Veron, winning their match 8-0. On court two, sophomores Kyle Hoffman and Andrew Dromsky clinched the doubles point with a 8-3 win over Santiago Lobelo and Diego Garavito. Junior Oliver Webb and red-shirt freshman Carson Jones’ left their match against Moritz Pronath and Gilbert Rotich at a 6-6 tie since the point had already been decided.
The Eagles needed three more wins to decide and end the match and they received those from freshman Rafael Racy, Jones and Webb. Racy made his first singles start worth it, beating Pronath with a quick 6-2, 6-2 for Eagles’ first singles victory of the day on court six. Jones added a victory of his own when he defeated Kip Jackson 6-4, 6-0 on court five. Webb rounded up the victory with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Leonardo Lima on court three.
Both Dromsky (6-3, 5-2) and Djouad (6-1, 4-1) were up by one set and three games in the second set, but both matches were left unfinished.
The Eagles now turn their attention to a neutral-site matchup with Lousiana-Lafayette next Sunday, March 10 at 10 a.m. in Atlanta before they return to conference play at the Citadel on March 16 in Charleston, S.C.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new “Eagles GATA” mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. Andrew Dromsky (GSUM) def. GARAVITO,Diego (BCUM) 6-3, 5-2 (unfinished)
2. Rayane Djouad (GSUM) def. LIMA,Leonardo (BCUM) 6-1, 4-1 (unfinished)
3. Oliver Webb (GSUM) def. VARON,Juan (BCUM) 6-2, 6-2
4. LOBELO,Santiago (BCUM) vs. Marco Osorio (GSUM) 4-4 (unfinished)
5. Carson Jones (GSUM) def. JACKSON,Kip (BCUM) 6-4, 6-0
6. Rafael Racy (GSUM) def. PRONATH,Moritz (BCUM) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 6,5,3
1. Marco Osorio/Rayane Djouad (GSUM) def. DAY,Seve/VARON,Juan (BCUM) 8-0
2. Andrew Dromsky/Kyle Hoffman (GSUM) def. GARAVITO,Diego/LOBELO,Santiago (BCUM) 8-3
3. PRONATH,Moritz/ROTICH,Gilbert (BCUM) vs. Oliver Webb/Carson Jones (GSUM) 6-6 (unfinished)
Order of finish: 1,2
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 03 March 2013 17:00