Men's Tennis Drops Thriller to UCF
STATESBORO, Ga. -- The Georgia Southern Men's Tennis team could not hold onto an early lead as they fell to Central Florida 4-3 in their home opener on a sunny Sunday afternoon at the Hanner Tennis Complex.
The Eagles (3-3) took the lead early, claiming the doubles point with victories on court two and one. The senior-junior duo of Matthijs Verdam and Oliver Webb proved to be successful first, winning their match against Matthew Gladstone and Juan Bolona 8-5. Shortly after freshman Rayane Djouad and junior Marco Osorio gave the Eagles a 1-0 advantage going in to singles by defeating Amar Hromic and Pedro Wagner 8-6.
The Knights (5-5) tied up the game 1-1 before Webb and sophomore Albert Codina Sala won their matches at the number four and three spots. Webb finished first, beating Jose Sangroniz 6-3, 6-2. Codina Sala made a big comeback after dropping the first set 6-1, taking the second and third sets 6-1 as well to claim the win.
The Eagles will be back in action next weekend starting their conference slate against Wofford on Saturday before taking on Bethune-Cookman on Sunday. There will be special activities for Junior Eagle Club members to engage in during Saturday's match.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new “Eagles GATA” mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. Jorge Blasco (UCF) def. Matthijs Verdam (GSUM) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Amar Hromic (UCF) def. Rayane Djouad (GSUM) 6-1, 6-3
3. A. Codina Sala (GSUM) def. Pedro Wagner (UCF) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Oliver Webb (GSUM) def. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) 6-3, 6-2
5. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Carson Jones (GSUM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Marco Osorio (GSUM) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 2,4,3,5,6,1
1. Rayane Djouad/Marco Osorio (GSUM) def. Amar Hromic/Pedro Wagner (UCF) 8-6
2. Matthijs Verdam/Oliver Webb (GSUM) def. Matthew Gladstone/Juan Bolona (UCF) 8-5
3. Francesc Aulina/Mario Samson (UCF) def. Daniel Rush/Carson Jones (GSUM) 8-1
Order of finish: 3,2,1
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 31 December 1899 19:00