Tennis Suffers Conference Loss at Elon
Elon used two doubles wins to take the doubles point approaching singles competition. The Phoenix won matches at the top two seeds, but Justin Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) and Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) were victorious from the three seed for the Eagles. The tandem topped Eric Turner and Thomas Darling, 8-5, before singles play.
The Eagles engaged in a singles battle drawing three courts into third sets and closing with a super tiebreak. Only two courts were decided in straight sets, with the conference foes splitting the two. Elon grabbed a decision at No. 2, but Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) notched a victory at the five seed for GS downing Carlso Arboleda, 6-2, 6-2.
Sophomore Garrido notched a three-set decision at the four seed, rebounding from a first set loss. Garrido erased a 6-3 first set with consecutive 6-3 sets to take the match. But Verdam and Garrido wins were the only two for GS on the afternoon as Elon was victorious from four seeds.
Jayraj Jadeja (London, England) and Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) battled through three sets, while Flynn forced a super tiebreak at No. 6. Jadeja and Melian Puigventos both grabbed the first sets, but had their conference opponents respond with second and third set wins. Jadeja drew his match at the top seed to the final point forcing a tiebreak at 6-all in the third. The Eagle fell 7-5 in the tiebreak to Philip Nemec.
Competing at No. 6, Flynn dropped the first set 7-6 (5), but took the second, 6-4. With the match decision declared, Flynn and Darling played a super tiebreak with the Phoenix proving victorious.
Georgia Southern faces a quick turnaround welcoming Wofford to the Hanner Tennis Complex on Sunday, March 7. First serve is slated for noon.
Elon 5, Georgia Southern 2
Records: Elon 2-8, GSU 4-7
1. Chase Helpingstine/Alberto Rojas (ELON) d. Gregory Bekkers/Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) 8-3
2. Philip Nemec/Cody S-MacDowell (ELON) d. Jayraj Jadeja/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 8-6
3. Justin Flynn/Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Eric Turner/Thomas Darling (ELON) 8-5
1. Philip Nemec (ELON) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
2. Chase Helpingstine (ELON) d. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Alberto Rojas (ELON) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Cody S-MacDowell (ELON) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) d. Carlos Arboleda (ELON) d. 6-2,6-2
6. Thomas Darling (ELON) d. Justin Flynn (GSU) 7-6 (5), 4-6, 1-0 (4)
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 06 March 2010 20:24