Men?s Tennis Unable to Gain Ground Against Appalachian State
BOONE, N.C - The Georgia Southern Men's Tennis team (9-10, 2-5 SoCon) could not make up ground against Appalachian State (13-5, 5-2 SoCon), losing to the Mountaineers 5-2. Southern Conference Player of the Month Juan Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas De Las Canaria, Spain) grabbed a straight-set victory at No. 1 singles to extend his winning streak to 12 matches, longest of his career.
Appalachian State established an early lead, sweeping doubles play for a one-point advantage over the Eagles heading into singles action. The Mountaineers continued their success in singles play, winning three of the first four matches to clinch the match.
A bright spot for GSU in the first four matches was the brilliant play of Melian Puigventos. The sophomore downed Appalachian State's Alex Markov in straight sets 6-1, 6-4 at the top of the lineup. Melian Puigventos' 18-1 on the season, adding to his SoCon-best win total.
Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) followed Melian Puigventos in the win column, securing a victory in three sets on court three. Verdam, losing the first set, responded with a 6-4 win on the final two sets to take the match. He is now 13-6 overall in singles play.
The Eagles close out their final road match of the regular season on Sunday, April 10th, at Elon. The contest against the Phoenix is scheduled for 1 p.m.
For more information on Georgia Southern Men's Tennis, follow the Eagles at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/mtennis or receive short updates at twitter.com/GSAthletics or facebook.com/GSAthletics.
Appalachian State 5, Georgia Southern 2
Apr 9, 2011 at Boone, N.C. (ASU Tennis Courts)
1. J. Melian Puigventos (GSU) def. Alex Markov (ASU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Philip Kloc (ASU) def. Alain Garrido (GSU) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
3. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) def. Alain Humblet (ASU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Sebastien King (ASU) def. Mark Paetz (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Andrew McKinnon (ASU) def. Edio Castanhel (GSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Matt Saltsgaver (ASU) def. Sebastien Felt (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3
1. Alain Humblet/Philip Kloc (ASU) def. J. Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 8-3
2. Alex Markov/Sebastien King (ASU) def. Alain Garrido/Mark Paetz (GSU) 8-4
3. Andrew McKinnon/Ezekiel Sansing (ASU) def. Edio Castanhel/Sebastien Felt (GSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 09 April 2011 19:04