Eagles Top Mocs, 5-2
The Eagles clinched the doubles point with the first two matches to finish. Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) and Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) walked off the court first taking an 8-6 win at the three seed. Jayraj Jadeja (London, England) and Justin Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) made the doubles point final in favor of the Eagles winning 8-6 over Stephen Crofford and Chris Smith at No. 2.
Chattanooga completed doubles play recording its only win with an 8-4 decision at the top seed.
Georgia Southern was able to carry doubles momentum over to singles competition and sealed the conference win with the first three singles matches off the courts. Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) pushed the lead out to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 3 over Smith. Bekkers put the Eagles on the brink of victory downing William Disterdick, 6-4,6-3, at the five seed.
Senior Flynn clinched the conference win for GS winning at the four seed. Flynn uprooted Jackson Tresnan, 6-2, 6-3 as the Eagles sealed the win at 4-0. Chattanooga got on the board taking a three-set decision at No. 6, before Jadeja took a three-setter at No. 2.
Jadeja took the first set, 6-3, but fell in the second by the same margin before closing out the win with a 6-1 third-set win. The league foes finished the match at the top singles seed where Roberto Vieira topped Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) also in three sets, 4-6, 6-, 6-4.
Georgia Southern rounds out the regular season on Sunday, April 18 welcoming Samford to the Hanner Tennis Complex for an 11 a.m. matchup.
Georgia Southern 5, Chattanooga 2
1. Roberto Vieira/Ryan Pool (UTC) d. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 8-4
2. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Stephen Crofford/Chris Smith (UTC) 8-6
3. Gregory Bekkers/Edio Castanhel (GSU) d. William Disterdick/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1.Roberto Vieira (UTC) d. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Ryan Pool (UTC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
3. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Chris Smith (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. William Disterdick (UTC) 6-4, 6-3*
6. Stephen Crofford (UTC) d. Edio Castanhel (GSU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 5, 4, 6, 2, 1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 17 April 2010 18:25