Eagles Pick Up Non-Conference Win Over South Carolina State, 4-3
A sweep of the doubles matches put GS in front 1-0 to open the match. Pairing up at the three seed, Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) and Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) jumpstarted doubles action for the Eagles notching an 8-5 win over Peter Vinogradovs and David Grund.
A win at the top seed secured the point for Georgia Southern as freshmen Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) and Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) handed Radek Pivinka and Alexander Malko an 8-3 loss. Seniors Jayraj Jadeja (London, England) and Justin Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) completed the doubles sweep winning an 8-7 (2) tiebreak at No. 2.
Moving into singles action, GS clinched the match winning three of the first four courts to finish. Straight-set wins at Nos. 2 and 1 cushioned the Eagles’ advantage, 3-0. Jadeja downed Oleksande Nikiteivo, 6-4, 6-3, before Melian Puigventos edged Pivinka, 6-4, 6-1 at the top seed.
The Bulldogs took a win back winning at No. 5 to get on the scoreboard. Malko defeated senior Bekkers, 6-2, 6-4, to cut the score to 3-1. But Flynn won a hard-fought match over Grund at the six seed to secure the non-conference win for GS. Senior Flynn won the first set, 7-5, and picked up momentum in the second, edging the Bulldog, 6-3, for the match win.
With the match already decided, SCSU added two more singles wins from the three and four seeds for the final 4-3 tally. Vinogradovs won a super tiebreak over Verdam, 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (8), before Dmytro Kovalevych defeated Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (4).
Georgia Southern continues this five-match regular season ending homestand welcoming Southern Conference foe Furman in a rescheduled match on Tuesday, April 8. First serve is slated for 2:30 p.m. at the Hanner Tennis Complex.
Georgia Southern 4, South Carolina State 3
1. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) d. Radek Pivinka/Alexander Malko (SCSU) 8-3
2. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Jan Langer/Dmytro Kovalevych (SCSU) 8-7 (2)
3. Gregory Bekkers/Edio Castanhel (GSU) d. Peter Vinogradovs/David Grund (SCSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) d. Radek Pivinka (SCSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Oleksande Nikiteivo (SCSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Peter Vinogradovs (SCSU) d. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (8)
4. Dmytro Kovalevych (SCSU) d. Alain Garrido (GSU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (4)
5. Alexander Malko (SCSU) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. David Grund (SCSU) 7-5, 6-3 *
Order of finish: 2, 1, 5, 6, 3, 4
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 03 April 2010 18:02