Georgia Southern Captures First Conference Win Over Wofford, 4-3
Two of three wins in the doubles sector gave the Eagles a 1-0 advantage rolling into singles action. The number one duo of Nkoueleue (Douala, Cameroon) and sophomore Borja Malet (Barcelona, Spain) were the first off the court with an 8-5 victory over Andrew Stubbs/George Kernodle. The win pushed the Eagle duo to a 7-1 dual mark and 13-5 overall season record. Joris De Weerdt and Gregory Bekkers secured the doubles point for Georgia Southern at the three seed with an 8-6 win over Terriers Christopher Williams and Alan Donald.
The Eagles carried the same momentum into singles action, quickly pushing the lead to 3-0 Georgia Southern. Malet gave Georgia Southern a 2-0 lead at the four seed with a quick decision over Williams, 6-4, 6-1. Pushing the lead even further, junior Sands, a native of Nassau, Bahamas, downed Michael Schecter at the six seed, 6-4, 6-2. All eyes turned to lone senior Nkoueleue at the one seed where he found himself down 5-2 in the second set after easily conquering the first set, 6-2. The lone senior broke Stubbs twice to overcome the deficit and take the lead 6-5. Stubbs had a chance to tie the set 6-all as he found himself up 40-0 in the twelfth game, but Nkoueleue persevered again and broke the Terrier to claim the set, 7-5, and clinch the win for the Eagles.
Georgia Southern is back in action hosting Hampton March 5. First serve is set for 11 a.m.
Georgia Southern 4, Wofford 3
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue/Borja Malet (GSU) d. Andrew Stubbs/George Kernodle (WC) 8-5
2. Richard Cahi/Paul Bartholomy (WC) d. Matthew Sands/Philip Prins (GSU) 8-6
3. Joris De Weerdt/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Christopher Williams/Alan Donald (WC) 8-6 *
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) d. Andrew Stubbs (WC) 6-2, 7-5 *
2. George Kernodle (WC) d. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (4)
3. Alan Donald (WC) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 7-6 (6), 6-7 (2), 1-0 (7)
4. Borja Malet (GSU) d. Christopher Williams (WC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Paul Bartholomy (WC) d. Mark Paetz (GSU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Michael Schecter (WC) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 6, 1, 2, 5, 3
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 01 March 2008 00:02