Rattlers Take Season Opener from Eagles
TALLAHASSEE, FL. The Georgia Southern men’s tennis team opened dual action play Sunday morning in Tallahassee against the Florida A&M Rattlers. The Eagles fell in a tight 4-3 match to the Rattlers. Georgia Southern falls to 0-1, while Florida A&M opens dual play 1-0.
The Rattlers jumped off to a 1-0 start claiming the doubles point with victories at the two and three seeds. Senior Emmanuel Nkoueleue (Douala, Cameroon) and sophomore Borja Malet (Barcelona, Spain) were victorious at the one seed over Rattlers Maurice Wamukowa and Michael Moore, 8-4.
Singles action saw three victories by the Eagles at the one, five and six seeds, respectively. In route to a perfect day, Nkoueleue claimed his second victory of the day with a singles win at the one seed. Nkoueleue ousted Rattler Artiom Podgainii in straight 6-3 sets. At the five seed, junior Philip Prins, a native of Cape Town, South Africa, earned Georgia Southern’s second mark of the day with a three set triumph over Wamukowa. Prins captured the first set, 6-3, and the third set in a tiebreaking battle, 7-6 (10-8). Matthew Sands (Nassau, Bahamas) defeated Paul Paige at the six seed, also in three sets. Sands claimed the first and third sets, 7-5.
The Eagles return to Statesboro for their home opener Sunday, January 27. Georgia Southern will face off against North Florida. Match time is slated for a 1 pm start.
Florida A&M 4, Georgia Southern 3
2. Simbarashe Happy/Artiom Podgainii (A&M) d. Matthew Sands/Neil Shine (GS) 8-4
3. Clifford Malivert/Paul Paige (A&M) d. Philip Prins/Gregory Bekkers (GS) 8-6
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GS) d. Artiom Podgainii (A&M) 6-3, 6-3
2. Clifford Malivert (A&M) d. Borja Malet (GS) 6-3, 6-1
3. Simbarashe Happy (A&M) d. Gregory Bekkers (GS) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
4. Michael Moore (A&M) d. Mark Paetz (GS) 6-1, 6-3
5. Philip Prins (GS) d. Maurice Wamukowa (A&M) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (10-8)6. Matthew Sands (GS) d. Paul Paige (A&M) 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 20 January 2008 00:29