Eagles Subdue Mountaineers, 5-2
STATESBORO, Ga. In a five hour battle at the Hanner Tennis Complex Sunday afternoon, the Georgia Southern men’s tennis team downed Appalachian State with a 5-2 decision as the Eagles captured their third conference victory of the season.
Georgia Southern (7-8 overall, 3-2 SoCon) swept Appalachian State (6-6 overall, 1-2 SoCon) in doubles action, earning the team point heading into singles action. Senior Emmanuel Nkoueleue and sophomore Borja Malet pulled out a victory at the one seed over Bobby Lake and Trent Constance in a tiebreak, 9-8 (7). Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands found their niche as they downed Ryan Brookshaw and Lee Floyd, 8-6. Cruising past their opponents at the three seed were Gregory Bekkers and Philip Prins, who ousted Peter Jacobs and Britton Webb, 8-4.
Four singles wins helped secure Georgia Southern’s seventh victory of the season. Wins from Nkoueleue at the one seed and De Weerdt at the two seed helped give the Eagles a 3-2 advantage over the Mountaineers. Clinching the match for Georgia Southern at the three seed was Borja Malet, the Barcelona, Spain sophomore. Malet took the first set in a tiebreak, 7-6 (7), dropped the second and found himself up in the third, 5-4. Trying to serve out the match, the Eagle went up 40-0, but Trent Constance put up a fight and battled back, pushing the tenth game into a deuce. Malet captured the win, 6-4, securing the match for the Eagles at 4-2.
Last off the court was sophomore Gregory Bekkers who also went into three sets. Bekkers took the first set in a tiebreak, 7-6 (4), dropped the second and won the third in another tiebreak, 7-6 (3).
“It was a hard-fought match,” said head coach Justin Miles. “I saw a tremendous improvement from our players who went into three set matches today. We struggled with three set matches in California, but today we came out on top.”
Georgia Southern hits the road next for three conference matches. The Eagles take on UNC Greensboro first on March 29. First serve is set for 2 p.m.
Georgia Southern 5, Appalachian State 2
1. Borja Malet/Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) d. Bobby Lake/Trent Constance (ASU) 9-8(7)
2. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Ryan Brookshaw/Lee Floyd (ASU) 8-6
3. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) d. Peter Jacobs/Britton Webb (ASU) 8-4
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) d. Ryan Brookshaw (ASU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) d. Bobby Lake (ASU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Borja Malet (GSU) d. Trent Constance (ASU) 7-6 (7), 2-6, 6-4 *
4. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Lee Floyd (ASU) 7-6 (4), 4-6, 7-6(3)
5. Peter Jacobs (ASU) d. Matthew Sands (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. David Doverspike (ASU) d. Philip Prins (GSU) 7-6 (5), 6-3
* Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 23 March 2008 00:02