Georgia Southern Edges UNC Greensboro, 5-2
Jumping off to a 1-0 advantage over the Spartans, the Eagles picked up their eighth doubles point of the season. Victorious for the 17th time this season, the tandem of Emmanuel Nkoueleue and Borja Malet ousted Arsel Kumdereli and Martin Redelinghuys, 8-1. At the three seed, Gregory Bekkers and Philip Prins secured the point for Georgia Southern, defeating Taylor Befus and William John, 8-4.
Wins from the one, four, five and six seeds netted the 5-2 decision for the Eagles. Nkoueleue picked up his 20th win of the season with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 decision over Andrey Bubnov at the one seed. Bekkers and Mark Paetz won their matches both in straight sets. Bekkers won at the four seed over Yaroslav Litus, 7-5, 6-1, while Paetz defeated Taylor Befus, 7-6(3), 6-2, at the six seed. Taking Georgia Southern’s last point, Matthew Sands picked up a win at the five seed over William John in three sets. Sands defeated John, 1-6, 6-3, 7-6(9-7).
The Eagles resume action traveling to Davidson Sunday, March 30. First serve is set for noon.
Georgia Southern 5, UNCG 2
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue (GSU) def. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
2. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) def. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) def. Borja Malet (GSU) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
4. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 7-5, 6-1
5. Matthew Sands (GSU) def. William John (UNCG) 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (9-7)
6. Mark Paetz (GSU) def. Taylor Befus (UNCG) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
1. Emmanuel Nkoueleue/Borja Malet (GSU) def. Arsel Kumdereli/Martin
Redelinghuys (UNCG) 8-1
2. Andrey Bubnov/Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) def. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands
(GSU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) def. Taylor Befus/William John (UNCG)
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 29 March 2008 00:02