Men?s Tennis Cannot Find Win Column at Elon
ELON, N.C - The Georgia Southern Men's Tennis team (9-11, 2-6 SoCon) could not close out its final road match of the regular season on a winning note, falling to Elon (16-6, 8-1 SoCon) 6-1. Southern Conference Player of the Month Juan Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas De Las Canaria, Spain) won his 13th consecutive match at No. 1 singles to move to 19-1 on the season, a SoCon-best win total.
"It was a very disappointing weekend for us, but we cannot dwell on it," said Head Coach Nick Zieziula. "Our team has two home matches left that we need to turn our attention to. We are going to focus on putting together a good home stand so that we can go into the tournament on a positive note."
A sweep in doubles by Elon generated an early lead for the Phoenix going into singles action. Elon added to its point total with four straight victories at No. 4, No. 6, No. 5 and No. 3 singles to clinch the match.
Melian Puigventos was the lone Eagle to find the win column on the afternoon as he topped Phillip Nemec in straight sets 6-3, 6-4 on court one. It was the sophomore's fifth straight-set victory and eighth SoCon victory. Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) battled to win his first set, 6-4, at No. 2 singles to force a third set, but lost in a tiebreak set, 12-10.
Georgia Southern closes out the regular season next week when it plays host to College of Charleston and Chattanooga. The Eagles welcome the Cougars Thursday, April 14th, at 2:30 p.m. before competing against the Mocs Saturday, April 16th, at noon. Seniors Thomas Bekkers, Derrick Davison, Mark Paetz and Alex Yuille will be honored prior to Saturday's match.
For more information on Georgia Southern Men's Tennis, follow the Eagles at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/mtennis or receive short updates at twitter.com/GSAthletics or facebook.com/GSAthletics.
Elon 6, Georgia Southern 1
Apr 10, 2011 at Elon, N.C. (The Jimmy Powell Tennis Center)
1. J. Melian Puigventos (GSU) def. Philip Nemec (ELON) 6-3, 6-4
2. Cameron Silverman (ELON) def. Alain Garrido (GSU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (12-10)
3. Eric Turner (ELON) def. Mark Paetz (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Alberto Rojas (ELON) def. Edio Castanhel (GSU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Chase Helpingstine (ELON) def. Sebastien Felt (GSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Cody S-MacDowell (ELON) def. Derrick Davison (GSU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 6, 5, 3, 1, 2
1. #49 Philip Nemec/Chase Helpingstine (ELON) def. Derrick Davison/Alain Garrido (GSU) 8-1
2. Alberto Rojas/Cody S-MacDowell (ELON) def. J. Melian Puigventos/Sebastien Felt (GSU) 8-2
3. Cameron Silverman/Eric Turner (ELON) def. Mark Paetz/Edio Castanhel (GSU) 8-2
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 10 April 2011 19:40