Doubles Sends Wildcats Past Eagles
Georgia Southern fell to 4-12 overall and 0-5 in league play, while Davidson improved to 9-3, 3-1.
Davidson claimed the lead beginning with doubles play as Chris Mark and Sam Burns first took an 8-5 decision over Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) and Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) at No. 3 for the first win. Eric Noble and freshman Joe Schafer secured the doubles point with a victory at No. 2. The Wildcat duo defeated Justin Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) and Jayraj Jadeja (London, England), 8-2, to hand Davidson the early lead, 1-0. Davidson closed out doubles competition with an 8-4 win coming at the two seed.
Two quick singles wins at the five and four courts put Davidson up 3-0. Calum Gee edged Bekkers, 6-0, 6-4, before Noble put the Wildcats on the brink of a conference win with a 7-6, 7-6 decision at No. 4.
But the Eagles pulled to within one point with decisions at two and three. Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) put the Eagles on the scoreboard first defeating Mark, 6-4, 7-5 at No. 3. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) followed with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph at No. 2 over Walker Lyons.
With the match at 3-2, Davidson finalized the win as Sam Burns pulled out a three-set victory at the six seed over Flynn. Burns dropped the first set, 6-2, but rebounded in the second, 6-4, and dropped only one game in the third, 6-1, for the Wildcats’ fifth straight win.
Georgia Southern closed out the match with a Jadeja three-set win at the top seed. Senior Jadeja and Schafer battled to the last point as all three sets came in tiebreakers. The Eagle dropped the first, 7-6, but responded with consecutive 7-6 sets for the win.
The Eagles take on Appalachian State on Sunday (March 28) at noon to close out this two-match road trip.
Davidson 4, Georgia Southern 3
Mar 27, 2010 at Davidson, N.C.
1. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) def. Joe Schafer (DAV) 6-7, 7-6, 7-6
2. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) def. Walker Lyons (DAV) 6-4, 6-2
3. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) def. Chris Mark (DAV) 6-4, 7-5
4. Eric Noble (DAV) def. Alain Garrido (GSU) 7-6, 7-6
5. Calum Gee (DAV) def. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Sam Burns (DAV) def. Justin Flynn (GSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 1
1. Eric Noble/Joe Schafer (DAV) def. Justin Flynn/Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 8-2
2. Calum Gee/Walker Lyons (DAV) def. J. Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 8-4
3. Chris Mark/Sam Burns (DAV) def. Edio Castanhel/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
Georgia Southern 4-12, 0-5 SoCon
Davidson 9-3, 3-1 SoCon
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 27 March 2010 22:05