Eagles Tame Bulldogs for 6-1 Conference Victory
“This was a good solid performance for the team and we played with good energy the entire morning,” said head coach Justin Miles.
The Eagles began the match taking the doubles point for the first time in seven matches, the sixth time overall. A sweeping of the doubles contests gave Georgia Southern the early team point and the momentum heading into singles competition. Gregory Bekkers and Philip Prins led the doubles with their first conference triumph of the season with an 8-2 decision at the three seed over Frederic Petrilli and Josh Cook. Juniors Justin Flynn and Jayraj Jadeja clinched the team point with an 8-6 victory at the two seed, and Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands rounded out the sweep at the one seed. An 8-7(5) decision over Yufo Sutantio and Alberto Diaz pushed the senior Eagle tandem to a 16-9 overall doubles record this season.
Georgia Southern carried its doubles energy into singles action, walking away with three quick straight set victories to register its second SoCon conquest of the season. Freshman Edio Castanhel finished first giving the Eagles a 2-0 advantage with a 6-2,6-0 takeover at the No.6 spot as Flynn earned a 6-3,6-1 decision at the five seed, putting Georgia Southern on the brink of a team victory.
Jadeja improved to 8-5 overall on the season when he clinched the match for the Eagles at the No.2 position with a 6-4 straight set victory over Michael Kociecki. The Bulldogs answered back registering their lone team point with a straight set decision at the top singles spot before the Eagles added two more singles victories to the scoreboard.
Bekkers won his singles match in a super tiebreak, going 7-6(7), 2-6,1-0(5) before Alain Garrido put the finishing touches on a three-set win from No.4. The freshman Eagle defeated Diaz 6-3,5-7,7-6(2) to close out the morning for Georgia Southern and lead the Eagles to a Southern Conference victory.
Georgia Southern takes no time off returning to conference action Sunday afternoon. First serve against Davidson is slated for a noon start at the Hanner Tennis Complex.
Georgia Southern 6, The Citadel 1
1. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) d. Yufo Sutantio/Alberto Diaz (CIT) 8-7(5)
2. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Michael Kociecki/Martin King (CIT) 8-6 *
3. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) d. Frederic Petrilli/Josh Cook (CIT) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Yufo Sutantio (CIT) d. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Michael Kocieck (CIT) 6-4, 6-4 *
3. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Martin King (CIT) 7-6(7), 2-6, 1-0(5)
4. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Alberto Diaz (CIT) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(2)
5. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Derek Dickey (CIT) 6-3, 6-1
6. Edio Castanhel (GSU) d. Frank Larkin (CIT) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 5, 2, 1, 3, 4
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 04 April 2009 00:21