App State Drops Women's Tennis
BOONE, N.C. – Georgia Southern Women’s Tennis claimed the doubles point but dropped six singles matches in a 6-1 loss to Appalachian State at the ASU Tennis Center on Sunday.
The Eagles (5-7, 2-3 SoCon) started off the match with doubles victories on court two and three. The freshman-senior duo of Stephanie Woods and Natalie Maffett clinched an 8-3 win over Clare Cox and Jennifer Ansari at the number two spot and Jordana Klein and Caitlin Kitchen added their second win as doubles partners of the weekend when they defeated Briana Armellino and Gabriela Celi 8-4.
Up 1-0, the Eagles were not able to convert in singles play as they fell in all matches.
Next up the Eagles will head to Hilton Head, S.C. to play two neutral site matches against Nebraska Omaha and Kansas on March 20 and 21.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new "Eagles GATA" mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. Ellie Linsell (APP) def. Paola Garrido (GSU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Clare Cox (APP) def. Jordana Klein (GSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. Stephanie Woods (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jennifer Ansari (APP) def. Mary Phillips Smith (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jessica Thaggard (APP) def. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. Caitlin Kitchen (GSU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Ellie Linsell/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) def. Paola Garrido/Mary Phillips Smith (GSU) 8-3
2. Stephanie Woods/Natalie Maffett (GSU) def. Clare Cox/Jennifer Ansari (APP) 8-3
3. Jordana Klein/Caitlin Kitchen (GSU) def. Brianna Armellino/Gabriela Celi (APP) 8-4
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 17 March 2013 14:32