Beeler Victorious as Eagles Fall to Panthers
Georgia Southern falls to 4-3 with the loss, while Georgia State picked up its first win of the season, improving to 1-6.
The Panthers won a hard fought doubles point with a sweep of the matches. Challenging Katerina Gresova and Tereza Lerova at the two seed, Ashley Hungerford (Clearwater, Fla.) and Kristi Kegerreis (Fairfax, Va.) dropped a tight 8-4 decision to the Panther pair. Meanwhile, Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.) fought Diana Nakic and Linda Hricistova at the top seed, suffering an 8-5 loss as Georgia State clinched the early point. The Panthers closed out doubles play with an 8-4 decision at the three seed before singles play got underway.
Three straight set victories sealed the match win for Georgia State in singles action. Nakic walked away with a win first from No. 1 singles, taking a 6-1,6-1 decision over Beavers before Lerova defeated Maffett from the two position, 6-0, 6-3. Kegerreis fell to Kir Kemp at No. 3, 6-3, 6-1, for the match win in favor of the Panthers.
Jessica Fuller (Cartersville, Ga.) drew her second set to a 7-5 score, as the senior fell 6-2, 7-5 to Linda Hricistova from the fifth seed. With the match decision set, Hungerford and Gresova played a third set tiebreaker as the opponents split the first two sets. Gresova took the first, 6-1, before Hungerford battled back in the second for a 7-5 win. Gresova was victorious in the super tiebreak, 10-4, pushing the Panthers in front, 6-0.
Freshman Beeler (Alpharetta, Ga.), playing at the No. 6 seed, faced off against Lindsay Hearn. Caforio dropped only three games for a 6-2, 6-1 triumph, putting Georgia Southern on the board, 6-1.
The Eagles return to play and close out this two-game road swing at UAB on Saturday, February 27. First serve is slated for 11 a.m.
Georgia State 6, Georgia Southern 1
Records: Georgia State 1-6, Georgia Southern 4-3
Feb 26, 2010 at Piedmont Park
1. Diana Nakic/Linda Hricistova (GSU) def. Ali Beavers/Natalie Maffett (GS) 8-5 *
2. Katerina Gresova/Tereza Lerova (GSU) def. Ashley Hungerford/Kristi Kegerreis (GS) 8-4
3. Kir Kemp/Lindsay Hearn (GSU) def. Jessica Fuller/Christine Caforio (GS) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Diana Nakic (GSU) def. Ali Beavers (GS) 6-1, 6-1
2. Tereza Lerova (GSU) def. Natalie Maffett (GS) 6-0, 6-3
3. Kir Kemp (GSU) def. Kristi Kegerreis (GS) 6-3, 6-1 *
4. Katerina Gresova (GSU) def. Ashley Hungerford (GS) 6-1, 5-7, 10-4
5. Linda Hricistova (GSU) def. Jessica Fuller (GS) 6-2, 7-5
6. Allison Beeler (GS) def. Lindsay Hearn (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 6
*Clinched the match
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Friday, 26 February 2010 18:08