Women?s Tennis Falls Short Against Samford
STATESBORO, Ga. - The Georgia Southern Women's Tennis (8-8, 2-5 SoCon) team squared off against
Samford (14-4, 4-3 SoCon) with the Eagles coming out on the short end of the 6-1 score Sunday, April 3rd, at Hanner Tennis Complex. Senior Ashley Hungerford (Clearwater, Fla.) picked up her ninth victory at No. 5 singles for the Eagles.
"We competed hard today but weren't able to finish with wins that would have given us the momentum we needed," said Head Coach Amy Bonner. "Ashley [Hungerford] had a great singles match. I was proud of her for competing so hard today after a tough loss the day before. We will now regroup and get ready for Charleston."
Hungerford was the lone Eagle victorious in singles action, winning in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 over Samford's Rebecca Kirven. Paola Garrido (Vigo, Spain) returned to the number-one spot and turned in a solid effort against Samford's Taylor Morgan. She opened the match with a 6-1 victory in the first set before dropping the second set, 7-6 (5). In the super-tiebreaker, Morgan outlasted Garrido 10-4 to take the final point of the match.
Samford swept the Georgia Southern in doubles action to take a one-point advantage heading into singles play. With the doubles point already clinched, Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) and Natalie Maffett (Rome, Ga.) battled on court three to avoid the sweep, but lost in a tiebreaker 8-7 (7-4).
Inclement weather last week shuffled the Eagles' home schedule and the match against College of Charleston is now set for Tuesday, April 5th, at 3 p.m. Georgia Southern closes out its six-match homestand with UNC Greensboro Friday, April 8th, at 2:30 p.m. and program will celebrate the Eagles' three seniors, Ali Beavers, Ashley Hungerford and Melanie Rolle.
Fans can follow Eagle Women's Tennis at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/wtennis and receive short updates at facebook.com/GSAthletics or twitter.com/GSAthletics. Scores of matches are posted at twitter.com/GSScores.
Samford 6, Georgia Southern 1
April 3, 2011 at Statesboro, Ga. (Hanner Tennis Complex)
1. Taylor Morgan (SAM) def. Paola Garrido (GSU) 1-6, 7-6 (5), 10-4
2. Andrie Meiring (SAM) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Madelie Jans Van Rensburg (SAM) def. Melanie Rolle (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Kristin Lewis (SAM) def. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) def. Rebecca Kirven (SAM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Lindsey Mallory (SAM) def. Alessandra Dzuba (GSU) 7-5, 6-0
Order of finish: 2,3,5,6,4,1
1. Taylor Morgan/Lindsey Mallory (SAM) def. Ali Beavers/Caitlin Kitchen (GSU) 8-4
2. Andrie Meiring/Rebecca Kirven (SAM) def. Paola Garrido/Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 8-5
3. M. J. Van Rensburg/Jessica Diamond (SAM) def. Melanie Rolle/Natalie Maffett (GSU) 8-7(7-4)
Order of finish: 1,2,3
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Monday, 04 April 2011 02:13