Women?s Tennis Falls to UNC Greensboro
STATESBORO, Ga. - The Georgia Southern Women's Tennis team (8-10, 2-7 SoCon) extended four of its six singles matches to a third set, but only one set would go in the Eagles' favor. The Spartans clinched victories in the other three matches for a 6-1 win Friday afternoon at Hanner Tennis Complex. UNC Greensboro (12-4, 7-0 SoCon) came into the match with a share of the Southern Conference lead.
UNC Greensboro won at the number-two and number-three seeds to clinch the doubles point. With the outcome of doubles play decided, Paola Garrido (Vigo, Spain) and Ali Beavers (Kingsport, Tenn.) battled back-and-forth on court one to avoid the sweep. The duo forced a tiebreaker, but lost 8-7 (7-10).
The Eagles picked up set wins at No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 6 singles to force final sets in those contests. The Spartans would take the final set on three of the four courts, including a win at the No. 2 spot, to clinch the match.
Melanie Rolle (Gainesville, Fla.) was the lone Eagle to win in singles action. After losing the first set, Rolle came back to win the last two sets 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 3 position.
Georgia Southern closes out the regular season Sunday, April 10th, when the Eagles travel to Cullowhee, N.C., for a noon matchup against Western Carolina. Georgia Southern takes a week off of competition to prepare for the Southern Conference Championship. Chattanooga plays host to the 2011 championship at the Champions Club.
Fans can follow Eagle Women's Tennis at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/wtennis and receive short updates at facebook.com/GSAthletics or twitter.com/GSAthletics. Scores of matches are posted at twitter.com/GSScores.
UNC Greensboro 6, Georgia Southern 1
Apr 8, 2011 at Statesboro, Ga. (Hanner Tennis Complex)
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Paola Garrido (GSU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
2. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-7 (2-7), 6-2, 6-4
3. Melanie Rolle (GSU) def. Stephanie MacFarlane (UNCG) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Ashley Hungerford (GSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) def. Allison Beeler (GSU) 6-2, 5-7, 10-6
Order of finish: 5,4,3,2,1,6
1. Stephanie MacFarlane/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Ali Beavers/Paola Garrido (GSU) 8-7 (10-7)
2. Niltooli Wilkins/Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Ashley Hungerford/Caitlin Kitchen (GSU) 8-2
3. Mikayla Rogers/Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Melanie Rolle/Natalie Maffett (GSU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,3,1
- Category: Women's Tennis
- Published on Friday, 08 April 2011 22:37