Men's Tennis Suffers First Loss at Georgia State
ATLANTA, Ga. - The Georgia Southern Men's Tennis team (1-1) suffered its first loss of the 2011 season with Georgia State taking the 5-2 win at Piedmont Park Saturday, February 5th. Sophomore Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) and classmate Matthjis Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) teamed up to win the point at number-one doubles 8-6 over Victor Valente and Breon Badger. Puigventos defeated Badger 6-0, 6-0 at number-one singles to win that point.
Verdam battled Thomas Cook at number-three singles, falling in the first set 3-6, then coming back to win the second set 6-4 before the results of the other matches were finalized. The Panthers notched their fourth-straight win.
The Eagles will take on Kennesaw State at the Laurel Park Tennis Center in Marietta, Ga. This is the season home opener for the 2-0 Owls.
Follow Georgia Southern Men's Tennis at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/mtennis or receive short updates at twitter.com/GSAthletics or facebook.com/GSAthletics.
Georgia State 5, Georgia Southern 2
February 5, 2011 at Atlanta, Ga. (Piedmont Park)
1. Juan M. Puigventos (GS) def. Breon Badger (Ga. State) 6-0, 6-0
2. Victor Valente (Ga. State) def. Alain Garrido (GS) 6-3, 6-1
3. Thomas Cook (Ga. State) def. Matthijs Verdam (GS) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Juan Pablo Gutierrez (Ga. State) def. Marco Osorio (GS) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lucas Santana (Ga. State) def. Edio Castanhel (GS) 6-2, 6-0
6. Vincent Verpeaux (Ga. State) def. Thomas Bekkers (GS) 6-2, 6-3
1. Matthijs Verdam/Juan M. Puigventos (GS) def. Victor Valente/Breon Badger (Ga. State) 8-6
2. Alain Garrido/Marco Osorio (GS) def. Thomas Cook/Gabe Townes (Ga. State) 8-6
3. Juan Pablo Gutierrez/Lucas Santana (Ga. State) def. Mark Paetz/Edio Castanhel (GS) 8-7 (7-2)
Order of finish: 2,1,3
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 05 February 2011 13:42