Georgia Southern Falls at Furman
GREENVILLE, S.C. In Southern Conference action Sunday afternoon (March 22), the Georgia Southern men’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to the Furman Paladins at Mickel Tennis Center. The loss puts the Eagles at 5-7 on the season and 1-3 in league play, while the Paladins moved to 12-7 overall and 3-0 in SoCon matches.
Furman, recording its 15th straight regular season league match, dropped one set en route to the sweep over the Eagles. The Paladins opened the day with three doubles wins. The 67th ranked duo in the country of Andy Juc and Bo Ladyman recorded an 8-4 win over Joris De Weerdt and Matthew Sands. Jayraj Jadeja paired with Mark Paetz for the first time this dual season at the two seed. The duo fell to Chris Motes and Chris Rhyne, 8-5. Furman completed the sweep of doubles with an 8-3 mark at No. 3.
After gaining the early 1-0 lead, Furman conquered every singles contest to complete the match sweep over Georgia Southern. De Weerdt faced off against Juc at the one seed. Juc, who is ranked 121st in the country, took the match in straight sets after the senior Eagle pushed the second set into a tiebreaker. Philip Prins recorded the only set victory for the Eagles in the match. Prins battled back from dropping the first set to Jordan Walters to take the second 6-3 and push the match into a super tiebreak. The Paladin was victorious by a 10-4 margin.
Georgia Southern concluded its longest stretch on the road at Furman and returns home to host conference foe Elon on Tuesday, March 24. First serve at the Hanner Tennis Complex is slated for 2:30 p.m.
Furman 7, Georgia Southern 0
1. #67 Andy Juc/Bo Ladyman (FUR) def. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU)
2. Chris Motes/Chris Rhyne (FUR) def. Jayraj Jadeja/Mark Paetz (GSU) 8-5
3. Andrei Chvetsov/Jordan Walters (FUR) def. Philip Prins/Gregory Bekkers
1. #121 Andy Juc (FUR) def. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 6-3, 7-6 (1)
2. Bo Ladyman (FUR) def. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Daniel Knause (FUR) def. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Chris Motes (FUR) def. Alain Garrido (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jordan Walters (FUR) def. Philip Prins (GSU) 6-2, 3-6, 10-4
6. Sawyer Duncan (FUR) def. Mark Paetz (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 22 March 2009 00:04