UNC Greensboro Wins SoCon Battle
A tight doubles point victory gave UNCG some momentum heading into singles play. The Eagles took the doubles lead winning at the two seed to open play as Jayraj Jadeja (London, England) and Justin Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) downed William John/Timion Meijs, 8-4, for the first win. But the Spartans responded with two 9-7 victories at the three and one seeds to clinch the doubles point and the 1-0 lead.
Senior Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) evened the match with a straight-set win, 6-4, 6-3, at the six seed to open singles play and Georgia Southern took a 2-1 lead with a 6-2, 7-6 (2) triumph from Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) at the four seed over Yaroslav Litus. But the Spartans knotted the match at 2-all when Arsel Kumdereli won the first of two three-setters for UNCG at the two seed, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3, over Jadeja.
UNCG regained the lead, 3-2, with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 2, but the Eagles bounced right back with a three-set victory at No. 5. Flynn dropped the first set to Meijs, 6-3, but cruised in the second set, 6-0, to draw a final third set in which the senior was victorious, 7-5.
With the match tied at 3-3, all eyes turned to the top seed for the decision. Freshman Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos handed Orcun Seyrek a 6-4 first set loss, but Seyrek grabbed the second set, 6-2 as the conference foes drew a final third set. Melian Puigventos challenged the reigning SoCon Player of the Year in the final set, but fell, 6-4, as UNCG clinched the match, 4-3.
Georgia Southern continues this final five-match homestand welcoming Chattanooga at noon on Saturday, April 17 to the Hanner Tennis Complex.
UNC Greensboro 4, Georgia Southern 3
1. Orcun Seyrek/Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) d. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 9-7*
2. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) d. William John/Timion Meijs (UNCG) 8-4
3. Jacob Wright/Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) d. Gregory Bekkers/Edio Castanhel (GSU) 9-7
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) d. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4*
2. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Jacob Wright (UNCG) d. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-2, 7-6 (2)
5. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Timion Meijs (UNCG) 3-6, 6-0, 7-5
6. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. William John (UNCG) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 1
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 10 April 2010 23:10