Men's Tennis Edged by Wofford
STATESBORO, Ga. - The Georgia Southern Men's Tennis (8-5, 1-1 SoCon) team's four-match win streak came to a halt on Saturday, March 19th, as Wofford (6-7, 2-1 SoCon) edged the Eagles 4-3 at the Hanner Tennis Complex. The Eagles wrapped up a six-match homestand posting a 4-2 record during the stretch.
Wofford's number-three doubles pair of Michael Schecter and Jack Seiffert took the first match to give the Terriers an early advantage. In a battle at number-two doubles, Georgia Southern's Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) and Marco Osorio (Tegucigalpa, Honduras) defeated Terriers' Paul Bartholomy and Alan Donald 9-8 (7-1) to even the doubles matches at one apiece. Going down to the wire, Eagle sophomores Juan Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas De Las Canaria, Spain) and Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) took a hard-luck 9-8 (7-4) loss at the hands of Stuart Robertson and Tinus Van Wyk as Wofford won the doubles point.
Garrido evened the score with a 6-3, 6-3 win in straight sets over Terrier Stuart Roberston at number-three singles. No. 4 Terrier Alan Donald won 6-0, 7-5 over Sebastien Felt as scoring went to 2-1 in Wofford's favor. Behind the play of Melian Puigventos at number-one singles, the Eagles were tied again as he defeated Wofford's Van Wyk in straight sets for his seventh-straight victory.
Wins at the number-two and number-five slots gave Wofford two more points for a 4-2 advantage as both Schecter and Superstein needed three sets to top the Eagles' Verdam and Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil). At the number-six seed, senior Mark Paetz (Munich, Germany) added another win to his season total, rebounding after a 6-7 loss in the first set to win two matches with identical 7-5 scores.
The Eagles continue conference play The Citadel Friday, March 25th, at the Earle Tennis Center in Charleston, S.C., at 2:30 p.m. Georgia Southern returns for one final home match in March with a SoCon meeting against Samford Sunday, March 27th at 12 p.m. at the Hanner Tennis Complex.
For more information on Georgia Southern Men's Tennis, follow the Eagles at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/mtennis or receive short updates at twitter.com/GSAthletics or facebook.com/GSAthletics.
Georgia Southern 4, Wofford 3
March 19, 2011 at Statesboro, Ga. (Hanner Tennis Complex)
1. J. Melian Puigventos (GSU) def. Tinus Van Wyk (WOF) 6-3, 6-1
2. Michael Schecter (WOF) def. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
3. Alain Garrido (GSU) def. Stuart Robertson (WOF) 6-3, 6-4
4. Alan Donald (WOF) def. Sebastien Felt (GSU) 6-0, 7-5
5. Drew Superstein (WOF) def. Edio Castanhel (GSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Mark Paetz (GSU) def. Tom Wood (WOF) 6-7 (6), 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: 3,4,1,2,5,6
1. Stuart Robertson/Tinus Van Wyk (WOF) def. J. Melian Puigventos/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Alain Garrido/Marco Osorio (GSU) def. Paul Bartholomy/Alan Donald (WOF) 9-8 (7-1)
3. Michael Schecter/Jack Seiffert (WOF) def. Edio Castanhel/Sebastien Felt (GSU) 8-3
Order of finish: 3,2,1
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 19 March 2011 22:47