CofC Squeezes by Men's Tennis
STATESBORO, Ga. -- Georgia Southern Men's Tennis dropped a tight match, 4-3, against conference foe College of Charleston on Monday afternoon at the Hanner Tennis Complex. The Eagles fell in doubles before engaging in a high-paced back and forth battle in singles but weren't able to come out on top.
"I was proud of the way the guys fought today. After a terrible doubles point we came back and had a lot of the first service breaks but couldn't quite finish off. We fought hard, did the right things but couldn't quite execute right at the end of sets," said Head Coach Nick Zieziula.
After losing the doubles point early in the match, the Eagles (6-5, 2-1 SoCon) climbed back to 2-2 and created a momentum shift after two straight set victories by Rayane Djouad and Matthijs Verdam. Djouad added his team leading eighth singles win in a 6-1, 7-6 (8-6) defeat of Sebastian Lopez on court two. The freshman currently stands a perfect 3-0 in conference play. Verdam added his fifth win of the season in a 7-5, 6-4 victory against Crescente Lesser on court three.
Tied at two, the Eagles dropped the next two including a tough match between Andrew Dromsky and Brice Allanic at the number one spot. The sophomore fought back from a 6-0, 4-1 deficit to take the second set 7-5 but eventually dropped the third set with the match point on the line for a final score of 6-0, 5-7, 6-3 in favor of the Cougars.
With the match played, Albert Codina Sala stayed focused on court five and won his fifth singles match of the year. The sophomore edged out Alon Faiman in a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (9-7) three-set thriller to add his second conference win and stay perfect in league play.
The Cougars improve to 6-6 including a 4-2 SoCon mark.
Next up, the Eagles continue conference play in North Carolina with matches against Appalachian State and Davidson on Friday and Saturday, March 22-23.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new "Eagles GATA" mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. Brice Allanic (COFC) def. Andrew Dromsky (GSUM) 6-0, 5-7, 6-3
2. Rayane Djouad (GSUM) def. Sebastian Lopez (COFC) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Matthijs Verdam (GSUM) def. Crescente Lesser (COFC) 7-5, 6-4
4. Charlie Ghriskey (COFC) def. Oliver Webb (GSUM) 6-7 (6-8), 6-1, 6-3
5. A. Codina Sala (GSUM) def. Alon Faiman (COFC) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (9-7)
6. Zack Lewis (COFC) def. Kyle Hoffman (GSUM) 7-5, 6-4
1. Brice Allanic/Charlie Ghriskey (COFC) def. Andrew Dromsky/Oliver Webb (GSUM) 8-3
2. Crescente Lesser/Sebastian Lopez (COFC) def. Matthijs Verdam/Kyle Hoffman (GSUM) 8-4
3. Alon Faiman/Zack Lewis (COFC) def. Daniel Rush/Alex Doherty (GSUM) 8-4
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Monday, 18 March 2013 19:05