Doubles Lifts Wofford Past Georgia Southern
SPARTANBURG, S.C. The Georgia Southern men’s tennis team dropped its fourth straight match Saturday afternoon (March 21) to Wofford, 4-3, at the Reeves Tennis Center. The Terriers grabbed the early lead in doubles and held off a rally by the Eagles to secure the Southern Conference win. Georgia Southern dropped to 5-6 overall and 1-2 in conference play with the loss. Wofford improved to 8-8 overall and 2-1 in the SoCon.
Georgia Southern struggled in doubles action, dropping all three matches. The junior duo of Jayraj Jadeja and Justin Flynn pushed Paul Bartholomy and Alan Donald to a tiebreak at the two seed, but ultimately fell, 8-7.
In singles action the Eagles rallied back to take three matches. Senior Joris De Weerdt won his fifth straight match with a 7-6, 6-1 decision over Stuart Robertson at the one seed. De Weerdt is undefeated in conference play, boasting a 3-0 mark from the No. 1 position. Jadeja earned his first SoCon victory of the season with a comeback win at the three seed over Scott Collins. Jadeja rebounded from dropping the first set 3-6 to post straight 6-4 final sets to secure the win. Mark Paetz earned his first dual match win of the season at the No. 6 seed. Paetz took the second set 6-3 after succumbing in the first to push the match into a super tiebreak where he was victorious by a 10-4 margin.
Georgia Southern continues conference play and wraps up this five-match road series with a visit to Furman on Sunday (March 22). First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
Wofford 4, Georgia Southern 3
1. Danny Manlow/Stuart Robertson (WOF) d. Matthew Sands/Joris De Weerdt (GSU) 8-4
2. Paul Bartholomy/Alan Donald (WOF) d. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) 8-7
3. Scott Collins/Tinus van Wyk (WOF) d. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) 8-4
1. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) d. Stuart Robertson (WOF) 7-6, 6-1
2. Danny Manlow (WOF) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-0, 7-5
3. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Scott Collins (WOF) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Tinus van Wyk (WOF) d. Alain Garrido (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Alan Donald (WOF) d. Edio Castanhel (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Mark Paetz (GSU) d. Paul Bartholomy (WOF) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 21 March 2009 00:11