Eagles Roll Over Jacksonville, 6-1
“We had a strong showing in singles action today and played with good energy on all courts,” said head coach Justin Miles. “We continue to build confidence as a team and we are playing more disciplined tennis, which will only help us as we near conference play.”
Two doubles wins ensured an early advantage in favor of the home team as Georgia Southern was victorious at the top and third seeds, respectively. Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) and Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain) teamed up at the three seed to overcome Jaime Esteban and Logan Shalmi, 8-2. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) and Gregory Bekkers (Antwerp, Belgium) paired at the No. 1 seed to down Jose Fantova Sicne and Hector Garci Aguilar, 8-6. The Eagles clinched the doubles point for only the third time this season and each time have successfully clinched the match.
The Eagles wasted no time in singles action opening their lead. GS took first sets on all six courts and were victorious on five in straight sets. Going undefeated on the day were Melian Puigventos, Bekkers, Garrido and Verdam. Melian Puigventos edged Victor Vaz in straight 6-4 sets, while Bekkers handled Aguilar at the two seed, 6-4, 6-3. Recording wins at the four and five seeds were Garrido and Verdam.
Garrido notched a 6-4,6-2 decision over Pitt Von Oertzen as Verdam crushed Arron Khatter without dropping a game. Justin Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) completed the singles scoring for the Eagles, taking a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Shalmi at the six seed. Jacksonville recorded its lone win of the day at the two seed.
Georgia Southern returns to the court on Saturday, Feb. 27 at home welcoming North Florida. First serve is slated for 1 p.m.
Georgia Southern 6, Jacksonville 1
Records: GSU 4-5, JU 0-3
1. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos/Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Jose Fantova Sicne/Hector Garci Aguilar (JU) 8-6
2. Victor Vaz/Pitt Von Oertzen (JU) d. Justin Flynn/Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 8-6
3. Matthijs Verdam/Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Jaime Esteban/Logan Shalmi (JU) 8-2
1. Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos (GSU) d. Victor Vaz (JU) 6-4,6-4
2. Jose Fantova Sicne (JU) d. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10)
3. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) d. Hector Garcia Aguilar (JU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Pitt Von Oertzen (JU) 6-4,6-2
5. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) d. Arron Khatter (JU) 6-0,6-0
6. Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Logan Shalmi (JU) 6-4, 6-2
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Tuesday, 23 February 2010 23:12