Eagles Net Dolphins, 5-2
“It was a tight match on both ends. The windy weather conditions were not favorable for play, but we held strong and came away with a win,” said head coach Justin Miles.
A pair of juniors came through for the Eagles in the clutch to clinch the doubles point for Georgia Southern after dropping the first doubles match at the one seed. Gregory Bekkers and Philip Prins tied the doubles point at one-all when they cruised to an 8-2 victory over Vinicius Craveiro and Marcos Oliveira at the three seed, bringing the doubles point down to the final match on the court where juniors Justin Flynn and Jayraj Jadeja teamed up from the number two doubles. The Eagle pair clinched the point for Georgia Southern over Victor Vaz and Murilo Souza with a decisive 8-5 ledger, improving their overall record to 4-1 on the season.
The Dolphins tied the match early in singles action taking the first match off the court at the two seed where Vaz defeated Bekkers in straight 6-0 sets. But the Eagles turned around to rout the next three matches at the six, one and three seeds to clinch the win at 4-1.
Seniors Prins and De Weerdt pushed the score to a 3-1 Georgia Southern favor with consecutive wins from the six and one seeds, respectively. Prins earned his second dual match victory of the season at the six seed when he crushed Craveiro, 6-1, 6-0, moments before De Weerdt widened the lead with a 6-4,6-2 decision over Riveroll from the one seed. Jayraj took his singles record to 4-1 when he clinched the match for the Eagles at the three seed with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Jaime Esteban.
The Dolphins garnered another singles point at the five seed before freshman Alain Garrido rounded out the day for Georgia Southern with a fourth singles victory at the four position. Garrido took a three set match over Souza for a final match score of 5-2.
Georgia Southern is back in action when they return to its home court on March 1 to host USC Upstate. First serve at the Hanner Tennis Complex is slated for 2 p.m.
Georgia Southern 5, Jacksonville 2
1. Francisco Riveroll/Matthew Rock (JU) d. Joris De Weerdt/Matthew Sands (GSU) 8-1
2. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSU) d. Victor Vaz/Murilo Souza (JU) 8-5*
3. Gregory Bekkers/Philip Prins (GSU) d. Vinicius Craveiro/Marcos Oliveira (JU) 8-2
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
*Clinched the match
1. Joris De Weerdt (GSU) d. Francisco Riveroll (JU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Victor Vaz (JU) d. Gregory Bekkers (GSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Jayraj Jadeja (GSU) d. Jaime Esteban (JU) 7-5, 6-3*
4. Alain Garrido (GSU) d. Murilo Souza (JU) 3-6, 7-6(6), 7-6 (7)
5. Matthew Rock (JU) d. Matthew Sands (GSU) 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
6. Philip Prins (GSU) d. Vinicius Craveiro (JU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 6, 1, 3, 5, 4
*Clinched the match
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 22 February 2009 00:03