Men's Tennis Topped by North Florida
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Georgia Southern Men's Tennis continued its stretch of matches on the road as it fell to North Florida, 0-7, at the UNF Tennis Complex Saturday afternoon. North Florida's Moritz Buerchner and Georgia Southern's Juan Manuel Melian Puigventos battled to a super tiebreak, but Buerchner defeated Puigventos at number-one singles 3-6, 6-3, 10-8 in the last match of the day for the sophomore's first loss of the year.
The Eagles No. 1 doubles team of Puigventos (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) and Matthijs Verdam (Hilversum, The Netherlands) defeated the Ospreys' Buerchner and Pedro Davisson, 8-4, but earlier wins by UNF secured the doubles point as the Ospreys took 8-2 wins at both the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches.
At number-four singles, GSU's Marco Osorio (Tegucigalpa, Honduras ) took a 6-3 win in the first set over North Florida's Leonardo Nahar, but Nahar fought back with a 6-2 second-set win. The super tiebreak went to an 11-9 score with Nahar taking the victory. North Florida took the wins at all remaining spots as Daniel Sotomarino posted a win over Alain Garrido (Vigo, Spain), 6-1, 6-0. Edio Castanhel (Criciuma, Brazil) fell to Beauregard Treyz at No. 5 singles and Thomas Bekkers (Antewrp, Belgium) lost to Pedro Davisson at the number-six spot in the lineup.
The Eagles face Mercer Saturday, February 26th at 12 p.m. before returning home to the Hanner Tennis Complex for Florida A&M, Sunday, February 27th. The match against the Rattlers starts at 12 p.m.
For more information on Georgia Southern Men's Tennis, follow the Eagles at GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com/mtennis or receive short updates at twitter.com/GSAthletics or facebook.com/GSAthletics.
North Florida Ospreys 7, Georgia Southern Eagles 0
Feb 19, 2011 at Jacksonville, Fla. (UNF Tennis Complex)
1. Buerchner, Moritz (UNF) def. Puigventos, Juan (GSU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-8.
2. Sotomarino, Daniel (UNF) def. Garrido, Alain (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Maslau, Hleb (UNF) def. Verdam, Matthijs (GSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Nahar, Leonardo (UNF) def. Osorio, Marco (GSU) 3-6, 6-2, 11-9
5. Treyz, Beauregard (UNF) def. Castanhel, Edio (GSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Davisson, Pedro (UNF) def. Bekkers, Thomas (GSU) 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6, 5, 4, 1
1. Puigventos,Juan/Verdam,Matthijs (GSU) def. Buerchner, Moritz/Davisson, Pedro (UNF) 8-4
2. Sotamorino, Daniel/Maslau, Hleb (UNF) def. Felt, Sebastien/Garrido, Alain (GSU) 8-2
3. Treyz, Beauregard/Nahar, Leonardo (UNF) def. Davison, Derrick/Paetz, Mark (GSU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 19 February 2011 23:52