Eagles Fall to USC Upstate
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Georgia Southern Men’s Tennis team wasn’t able to continue their successful streak as they lost 4-1 to USC Upstate on a chilly Sunday afternoon in Spartanburg, S.C. Freshman Rayane Djouad was the only Eagle to capture a win on the day.
"Today's match was very disappointing," said Head Coach Nick Zieziula. "We were not disciplined enough point in and point out to stay on top of our tactics and block out distractions. We need to use this disappointment to fuel our training and continue trying to improve each day."
Djouad continued a strong start to his Eagle career, winning his team-leading fourth singles match. The rookie claimed the win against Upstate’s Ramon Simonetti in straight sets (6-1, 6-3) on court four and has now been undefeated since the start of the year.
The Eagles (3-2) trailed early as the Spartans (4-5) earned the doubles point when they won a hard fought battle on court three. Senior Matthijs Verdam and junior Oliver Webb battled Jamie Yates and Jacob Darling too the wire but couldn’t convert and fell 8-6.
Behind by two, Djouad was able to close the gap to 2-1 but the Eagles dropped the next two, giving the Spartans the points necessary to claim the match.
Today’s match was scheduled for Saturday but the the teams were snowed out and were forced to play today.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new "Eagles GATA" mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. Matthias Kidler (UPSTM) def. Matthijs Verdam (GSUM) 7-5, 6-4
2. Yvon Haessig (UPSTM) def. Andrew Dromsky (GSUM) 6-3, 6-1
3. Viktor Selander (UPSTM) vs. A. Codina Sala (GSUM) 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
4. Rayane Djouad (GSUM) def. Ramon Simonetti (UPSTM) 6-1, 6-3
5. Gonzalo Blanco (UPSTM) def. Marco Osorio (GSUM) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jamie Yates (UPSTM) vs. Oliver Webb (GSUM) 6-7 (7-4), 7-5, 0-0, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 1
1. Matthias Kidler/Viktor Selander (UPST) def. Andrew Dromsky/Carson Jones (GSUM) 8-0
2. Yvon Haessig/Gonzalo Blanco (UPST) vs. Rayane Djouad/Marco Osorio (GSUM) 6-4, unfinished
3. Jamie Yates/Jacob Darling (UPST) def. Matthijs Verdam/Oliver Webb (GSUM) 8-6
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 17 February 2013 18:01