Men's Tennis Picks up Second Road Win of the Year
ATLANTA – The Georgia Southern Men’s Tennis team was able to take the lead and continue to lead in every match but one, en route of defeating Kennesaw State 6-1 on Sunday afternoon in Atlanta.
“The guys came out with good energy today,” said Head Coach Nick Zieziula. “They took the lead in all matches but one and did a much better job finishing those leads and staying sharper throughout the match compared to yesterday.”
The Eagles (2-1) and Owls (0-2) played the singles portion first due to a chance of bad weather but were still able to finish the day with doubles play.
The Eagles were led by senior Matthijs Verdam who clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Kennesaw’s Tobi Menhofer at the number one spot to give the Eagles a 4-1 lead in the match. He also teamed up with redshirt freshman Carson Jones to win the doubles match at court number three, 8-2, against Nathan She and Matthew Johnson.
“Mathhijs played a great game overall and did a much better job finishing his points than against Georgia State,” said Zieziula.
First on the board for the Eagles was Jones, defeating Johnson 6-4, 6-0 at the number six spot. Rayane Djouad continued his strong freshman campaign and claimed the second win of the day, 6-3, 6-2, over Gokalp Ozdemir.
Sophomore Albert Codina Sala increased the Eagles’ advantage to 3-0, beating Alexander Pena 6-2, 6-4 at court number three while fellow sophomore Andrew Dromsky was the last one to finish singles on court two, defeating Luis Theodor 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.
Djouad picked up his second win of the day in doubles, teaming up with junior Marco Osorio to beat the Kennesaw duo of Pena and Ozdemir 8-3 at the number one spot, claiming the point for a final score of 6-1.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new “Eagles GATA” mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. Matthijs Verdam (GSU) def. Tobi Menhofer (KSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Andrew Dromsky (GSU) def. Louis Theodor (KSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. A. Codina Sala (GSU) def. Alexander Pena (KSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Rayane Djouad (GSU) def. Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Maksim Yorsh (KSU) def. Oliver Webb (GSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Carson Jones (GSU) def. Matthew Johnson (KSU) 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,4,3,5,1,2
1. Tobi Menhofer/Louis Theodor (KSU) def. Oliver Webb/Andrew Dromsky (GSU) 8-4
2. Marco Osorio/Rayane Djouad (GSU) def. Alexander Pena/Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU) 8-3
3. Carson Jones/Matthijs Verdam (GSU) def. Nathan She/Matthew Johnson (KSU) 8-2
Order of finish: 3,1,2
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Sunday, 10 February 2013 19:24