Eagles Battle No. 60 Georgia State but Fall 5-2
ATLANTA – The Georgia Southern Men’s Tennis team (1-1) was able to hang with No. 60 Georgia State (5-1) for a while, but ended up falling 5-2. Sophomore Andrew Dromsky and freshman Rayane Djouad picked up wins in the effort.
“I am very proud of the way that we responded from our slow start in doubles. We started off the singles with leads late in the first sets on courts 1-5 but against a nationally ranked opponent you cannot afford to take your foot off the gas and give them a little space and that was what happened on a few courts. Credit to Georgia State for responding to those leads and not letting us run away with it. We can take a lot of positives with us from this match to build on for tomorrow,” said Head Coach Nick Zieziula.
Dromsky took the lead early on in his match on court two and never looked back en route of defeating Thomas Cook 6-2, 6-4, handing Cook his first loss of the year. After winning his doubles match with Marco Osorio (8-7), Djouad continued his momentum in singles, beating Sofiane Chevallier 7-5, 4-6, 6-3.
All other Eagles were able to take the lead in singles play in the first set but were not able to capitalize in the end.
The Eagles will stay in Atlanta and take on Kennesaw State at noon.
Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new "Eagles GATA" mobile app for Android and iOS.
1. #54 Victor Valente (GSU) def. Matthijs Verdam (GSO) 6-3, 6-4
2. Andrew Dromsky (GSO) def. Thomas Cook (GSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Lucas Santa Ana (GSU) def. A. Codina Sala (GSO) 7-5, 6-2
4. Andrew Zedde (GSU) def. Oliver Webb (GSO) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
5. Rayane Djouad (GSO) def. Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
6. Robert Schulze (GSU) def. Marco Osorio (GSO) 6-3, 6-4
1. Victor Valente/Lucas Santa Ana (GSU) def. Andrew Dromsky/Oliver Webb (GSO) 8-3
2. Robert Schulze/Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) def. Alex Doherty/Carson Jones (GSO) 8-2
3. Rayane Djouad/Marco Osorio (GSO) def. Thomas Cook/Andrew Zedde (GSU) 8-7 (8-6)
- Category: Men's Tennis
- Published on Saturday, 09 February 2013 20:12